Our house, is a very, very, very fine house…

Hi there! I hope everyone is doing well. This is always a weird time as spring turns to summer and even if you don’t have kids there are some real palpable changes that occur and it takes a little getting used to… At least, that’s how it is in my world. This summer brings a huge change and it’s been a real surprise as to how I’ve handled it. My parents made the decision about two years ago to leave the province and retire to a farm in the middle-of-nowhere Saskatchewan. I am bitter and sad for many reasons, but mostly because they are my son’s only grandparents. They aren’t the most involved grandparents in the world, but they’re all my son has and now their relationship will go from thin to nothing. They say they will visit all the time but I know better… YES, I am being melodramatic, but I know a lot of retired people. You think you will have all the time in the world but it doesn’t work that way: retired people are always busy!!!! I would always have to call them and ask them if Phoenix could come and sleep over, what’s that going to be like now? “Hey, you haven’t called in 4 months, just wondering if you want to know what Phoenix is up to?” I don’t know… It’s going to be weird, that’s all I know.

My family has roots here. We have never moved, all of my immediate family is here and all but one of my aunts and uncles and one remaining grandparent live here in this town. I know it’s probably an anomaly, but I think it’s why I am so upset. We are all here and they are leaving.
I went over to the house I grew up in for the last time this weekend. It was the last time I’ll drive down the road:
330
The last time I’ll pull into the driveway:
001
The lasts of a lot of things. It hit me as I was walking from empty room to empty room that I would never again have a Christmas or birthday or random family dinner at “The Parents” and I just started bawling. Like, the ugly cry. I think it will be okay, but this summer is going to be a summer of change.
 433
Goodbye parents, and goodbye house.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that. When my grandparents moved from Michigan to Florida when I was a kid I was devastated. Their farm to me was like your parents' home to you. Years later, after my grandparents had passed, I drove by the old farm and it was all gone! Total devastation and lots of ugly bawling! It was like losing a part of my childhood. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post. Just want you to know someone gets it. I hope, for your sake and your son's, that you are wrong about how often you will see them. It's so sad when you lose a link like that. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tobi, I can so relate. I don't have kids but I swear I felt like an orphan myself when about 5 years ago my parents moved to middle of no where Saskatchewan. Then my brother moved there, my sister moved to Edmonton, ALL of my aunts and uncles and my gandmother moved to saskatchewan (what?! Why?!). So yep, other than 2 bachelor brother in laws I dont have a single family member left in Calgary. It sucked at first but a lot of times it's GREAT!! Heehee. So do tell.....what town do your parents live in? Mine are in Ruthilda. It has a population of 10 including my parents. Can you beat that? Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!