Cards and more Cards…

Have you ever had to explain your craft-room and hobby to someone who’s never seen anything like it? Today a college friend came over to pick my brain about teaching music and she had a look at my “studio” and asked “So what IS this? WHY do you do this"?”

I was speechless for a second.. Why DO I do it? I was like, ‘Uh… um…”
Then she said, “Is this a business for you? What do you do with all of the cards?”
I said “Well, I work for a few stamp companies that send me stamps and I make cards with them… And I sell my cards at a flower shop, and I teach classes at my LSS…” but the conversation felt unfinished when it ended..
I have to admit that a whole room and thousands of dollars of stuff does seem excessive for a hobby, but that’s what it is.. Is card-making a PASSION of mine? I think so.. Is it crazy that I spend the money/time that I do on it? I don’t think so.. A colleague of mine from school has a very, very expensive hobby that seems really weird to me, he buys expensive sound systems for his house. We’re not talking Bose speakers, we’re talking $50k sound systems from stores that are INVITE ONLY. Do I think it’s excessive, yes, but it’s his hobby and it makes him happy. Anyway.. It was an interesting conversation..
Speaking of being excessive, here are some cards I’ve made over the past couple of days.. I’ve been productive! These are all for the Dare To Get Dirty challenges at SCS…
aug8happy
I made this card for this month’s Sketch For You To Try.. It’s my first one and it was fun! I used an older Kraftin’ Kimmie stamp that I actually had for sale in the garage sale I did and no one picked her up. The papers are the new, drop-dead gorgeous My Mind’s Eye “Lost and Found Two” papers. Pretty, aren’t they? Copics used: BG93, 96, 99; R81, 83, 86, 89; RV63, 66; E13, 15, 18, 31, 51, 53
aug8justmytype
The set Just my Type from Technique Tuesday is gorgeous on its own… So why not leave it? That’s what I thought, anyway. Doesn’t the typewriter stamp beautifully?
aug8youdidit
This stamp is new-to-me and I couldn’t wait to colour him up. These papers are more My Mind’s Eye “Lost and Found Two” and this particular line is my favourite. Normally I’m not a fan of gold, but the colour palette is scrumptious. Copics: YR21, 23, 25; E50, 51, 53, 71, 74, 77, 79.
aug8gnome
This guy is from a There She Goes set called My Little Friend. I pleated the lilac ribbon, but only on the outer edges.. It’s always tricky to adhere a layer on top of thick ribbon, so I thought I’d leave it flat just in the centre.. I really liked how it worked out and will be doing that again, for sure! Copics: YR18, 63; E40, 41, 50, 51, 11; BG70, 72, 76; YG21, 23, 25; RV63, 66, C3.
Thanks for stopping by!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I've had those type of conversations with people. They just don't understand our passion for this craft. I always feel misunderstood or inadequate. I feel grateful for those who aren't in the industry and one male, non crafting friend that really is supportive of my creative endeavors. He asks the best, thoughful, respectful questions. I wished you could have some time with him.
    Keep on doing your wonderful cardmaking and supporting the industry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the same conversations with people, and it is super hard to explain how much time, energy, and love go into what I do. As fro your cards...OMWord are they all FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, I hate having to defend my hobby. I don't have a ton of stuff, but if I had more money I definitely would.

    Lately I've been sending cards out to my inlaws like mad, trying to justify the time spent making the cards. It is ridiculous, I agree.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!