The Same But Different

So me and the fam’ are leaving tomorrow to go on a week-long camping trip with some friends, and I’m really excited because despite being a teacher and having the whole summer “off” we can’t afford to vacation the whole time, so this is it!! It’s camping lite, so that means we will be staying in a cabana with an open-air kitchenette and a bedroom! I can take my cardmaking supplies along and not be worried about dirt and sand and campfire smell.. lol.
I will be spending time with some pretty crafty ladies while we’re away, and although they’re not cardmakers/scrapbookers, they love to work with their hands so I’ve prepared a little “make ‘n take” for us to do one afternoon. I made it really technique-y because I think it will be fun to get really creative with the process.. Here are the projects:
aug27tag1
I call these “Tobi’s Tim Tags,” after Tim Holtz, of course. Watch this video of his to see what inspired me to do these tags and how I did them! I used the same technique as he did to ink the tag except in addition to using distress stain I also used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists..
Tag 1:
aug27tag3
I figured I would give the ladies a few options when making the tags, and this is the “Busy Background, Muted Butterfly” tag. I did the background according to Tim, then I die cut the butterflies from Grungepaper, embossed them with a Sizzix die, then painted them with NEW Picket Fence distress stain. (It’s opaque and oh so awesome…)
aug27tag2
I then lightly distressed the butterflies with brown distress ink and used my finger to add subtle “old silver” highlights (Inka Gold Paint) with my finger.

Tag 2:
aug27tag4
I simply stamped the background with brown distress ink and inked the edges and set aside. I took the die cut and embossed butterflies and sprayed a few different colours of Tattered Angels Mist on them, but the purple was so dominant it turned out looking one-tone.
aug27tag5
That’s okay, it’s a pretty purple! I then inked the edges with Inka Gold and that was it. This was an easier tag to do, but I think I like it better..
I hope they like these projects!
So the next few posts will be on location. I had a lot of anxiety over what to bring. It’s so hard to narrow down what you might or might not use for an entire week… I’m glad I don’t go away/travel with my supplies often; it’s too hard to decide!! Have a great weekend!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. These are SO lovely. I've actually added them to my pinterest page! Will be checking out your how to video as well. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful tags Tobi! Love butterflies! Have a great camping trip!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!