The Same But Different

So me and the fam’ are leaving tomorrow to go on a week-long camping trip with some friends, and I’m really excited because despite being a teacher and having the whole summer “off” we can’t afford to vacation the whole time, so this is it!! It’s camping lite, so that means we will be staying in a cabana with an open-air kitchenette and a bedroom! I can take my cardmaking supplies along and not be worried about dirt and sand and campfire smell.. lol.
I will be spending time with some pretty crafty ladies while we’re away, and although they’re not cardmakers/scrapbookers, they love to work with their hands so I’ve prepared a little “make ‘n take” for us to do one afternoon. I made it really technique-y because I think it will be fun to get really creative with the process.. Here are the projects:
aug27tag1
I call these “Tobi’s Tim Tags,” after Tim Holtz, of course. Watch this video of his to see what inspired me to do these tags and how I did them! I used the same technique as he did to ink the tag except in addition to using distress stain I also used Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists..
Tag 1:
aug27tag3
I figured I would give the ladies a few options when making the tags, and this is the “Busy Background, Muted Butterfly” tag. I did the background according to Tim, then I die cut the butterflies from Grungepaper, embossed them with a Sizzix die, then painted them with NEW Picket Fence distress stain. (It’s opaque and oh so awesome…)
aug27tag2
I then lightly distressed the butterflies with brown distress ink and used my finger to add subtle “old silver” highlights (Inka Gold Paint) with my finger.

Tag 2:
aug27tag4
I simply stamped the background with brown distress ink and inked the edges and set aside. I took the die cut and embossed butterflies and sprayed a few different colours of Tattered Angels Mist on them, but the purple was so dominant it turned out looking one-tone.
aug27tag5
That’s okay, it’s a pretty purple! I then inked the edges with Inka Gold and that was it. This was an easier tag to do, but I think I like it better..
I hope they like these projects!
So the next few posts will be on location. I had a lot of anxiety over what to bring. It’s so hard to narrow down what you might or might not use for an entire week… I’m glad I don’t go away/travel with my supplies often; it’s too hard to decide!! Have a great weekend!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

Thank you for commenting!