Happy *Canadian* Thanksgiving - The Twinery

Hi there! It's Thanksgiving in Canada today, and I've learned a little something about our special day: 

From 1931 to 1957, the date was set by proclamation, generally falling on the second Monday in October, except for 1935, when it was moved due to a general election. In 1957, Parliament fixed Thanksgiving as the second Monday in October. The theme of the Thanksgiving holiday also changed each year to reflect an important event to be thankful for. In its early years it was for an abundant harvest and occasionally for a special anniversary.

As a Canadian I can say that our holiday is more low-key than the American version, but generally we do what you do: eat a giant turkey dinner with our family and give thanks for family and friends! I made a card that (to me) epitomizes the day:



I rarely use this stamp set because it's such a beast to colour, but when I was brainstorming for this project I decided to bite the bullet and do it.


The method I use to get deep, dark shadows and lots of dimension is to use chalk pencils on my colouring after I'm finished with the Copics (and I use it on top of watercolors too...). You can see around the outside of the fireplace where I added both black and brown pencil - after applying the pencil to the paper I smudge it out with a blending stump. 


Once blended, a smoky, shadowy halo remains, and it's just a perfect technique for making the colouring appear more 3-D. 



Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians out there! Have a blessed day! 
Supplies: 
Fireplace Stamp Set: There She Goes (no longer in business)
Sentiment: I Am Thankful (Technique Tuesday)
The Twinery Twine: Solid Charcoal

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you for commenting!