Blending With Copic Markers

Hi there! It's time for another Stampendous! tutorial. Today I'm sharing a Copic marker colouring project with a few step-out photos to help show my process. A lot of people who colour with Copics use the standard light-to-dark method, but I go against the grain! I like to colour dark-to-light for a few reasons:

  1. I am only using each marker ONCE. I don’t have to go back and colour over everything with light markers and this helps to keep the ink in the marker and not in the paper.
  2. By colouring the “shadows” first I can plan out the light-source and make sure I have all of the shadows placed appropriately.
  3. I have found this method to be easiest for me! I enjoy using various methods of blending techniques when colouring, but my go-to method is dark-to-light.
There are a lot of different ways to add colour to your stamped images and I am just one of those crazy people who loves her Copic markers!! Now onto to the demo:
For each coloured area, choose 3 markers (a dark, medium and light).
copiccow1
As you can see, I pooled the darkest colour (E18) where I felt the shadows would occur. Next I added E15 and pulled the colour a little higher, and finally E13.
For each colour group I repeat this process. Here’s the next colour:
copiccow2
Even though the colours I used were quite pale, I still went dark-to-light! The last frame shows the completed image including some shading with a black pastel-chalk pencil.

copiccow3
And here she is in all her cow-glory! Thanks for stopping by today and I hope you enjoyed my tutorial!
Stamp used:
Cling Cowlick-Butterfly (Available at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores and Stampendous!)

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Great tutorial Tobi! What a cute card too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a great tutorial. I'm a light to dark but I am going to try your dark to light method!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome tutorial! that coloring of yours just ROCKS, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial..thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute Tobi. I loooooooooooooooooooooove that cute little guy. Your coloring is bomb. I too like dark to light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial Tobi and your Cowlik card looks so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!